Monday, April 11, 2011

A new start for the year

It has been an interesting start of the year so far, already a lot has been done on my part but still much more ahead.

On Jan. 2nd I ran a 1/2 marathon at Lake Chabot, very difficult with the hills, rain and mud. But a success. I was able to finish in under 2:20

I spent most of Jan. and Feb. training at least 3 days a week running, doing push ups and learning how to do pull ups. I felt great, an easy run was 6 miles and runs 10+ miles were getting easier with quicker recovery times.

In March I even did another Mission peak challenge and was able to get to the 3rd bench in record time.

But as of now, I have hit a road block, a knee injury, an over-use injury to my right IT band which is also known as "Runners Knee." .

It has been almost 3 weeks and have been very frustrated with the setback. Especially since there are some big challenges coming up this Spring/Summer. More exclusively, The GORUCK challenge which I have been looking forward to since November.

I have been doing various rehab work and stretches since the injury. I've gone on a few runs here and there only lasting 20-30 minutes or so. I feel fine walking but running is on and off pain. I guess my fear is that the injury could become chronic.

All I can say is that I'm doing my best, I don't feel like I'm in prime condition like I was in February but I still feel confident. I was able to do the Big Sur Mud Run only 3 days after injuring my knee, although it was painful, I was still able to finish the race and even beat my time from last year by 2 minutes.

Hopefully my injury will continue to get better as time goes by regardless of all the events coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment