Saturday, June 26, 2010

Push through the pain

Do you ever want to give up? Is your body telling you you're done?

There is a difference between being tired and being injured.

Nick and I decided to tackle Lake Chabot this morning after work, we ran between 6.2 and 6.5 miles in rough terrain. It seemed like the hills just wouldn't stop. I was to say the least...exhausted and felt like I couldn't keep up. Nick did great and was doing his best to keep me motivated. During the entire run I felt tired and heavy.

My body was telling me, "you're injured, stop, you are too tired." I knew that I had to keep going and my brain was saying "suck it up."

It was a constant struggle going back and forth but after all is said and done, you must put one foot in front of the other and keep going until you are finished. I may have been tired but definitely not injured. It was like my body was trying to trick my brain.

What's the lesson here, just because you are hurting, doesn't mean you are injured.

Running an event or race requires a certain mental toughness, the more you have, the more you can push yourself to go the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment